Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This Was Written For Me....


I came across this lovely piece recently and loved it so much, I had to share:

When I am an old horsewoman...
I shall wear turquoise and diamonds,
and a straw hat that doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my social security on
red wine and carrots,
and sit in the alley-way of my barn
and listen to my horses breathe.
I will sneak out in the middle of a summer
night and ride the old bay gelding
across the moonlit meadow
if my old bones will allow.
And when people come to call, I will
smile and nod
as I walk past the gardens to the
barn and show, instead of the flowers
growing, stalls filled with
fresh straw. I will shovel
and sweat and wear hay in my
hair as if it were a jewel.
And I will be an embarrassment
to all who have not yet found
the peace in being
free to have
a horse as
a best friend,
a friend who waits at
midnight hour
with muzzle and
nicker, and patient eyes
for the kind of
woman I will be
when I am old.

-Author Unknown-

No comments: