Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy President's Day and Thank You, Nancy and Ron

"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress."

Ronald Reagan



I hardly ever watch tv, but when I have the opportunity, I like PBS. I was lucky enough to have a chance to catch Nancy Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime on PBS. I like Kennedy also, and even though he and Reagan were on opposite ends of the political spectrum, all they had to have in common was one thing: horses.
It couldn't hurt that I have always admired their wives' fashion, flair and poise, either.
I was in my twenties when Reagan was in office, going through lots of trials and tribulations of my own. My grandfather, who was a huge presence in my life, became ill and I was laid off from a job I thought I was going to have for many years to come. Things were changing way too much for my liking, and I was so absorbed in all of it that I never really focused on the White House during much of that time.

Almost twenty five years later, I am finally seeing what I missed all those years ago. And what strikes me the most after watching this documentary is the incredible love and intimacy that Ron and Nancy had for each other. You may not be a fan of either, but after watching this, it might leave you with a yearning for wanting to be loved like that. Nancy once said,“What can you say about a man, who on Mother’s Day sends flowers to his mother-in-law, with a note thanking her for making him the happiest man on Earth?” If you have an hour, I highly recommend taking the time to see this. You just might gain some valuable insights and even learn a thing or two.

No comments: