Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Its Good to See You Again, My Friend


It's been a long time! How cliche to say so much can happen in a short period of time, but here I am, saying this very thing. As I write this, I am getting ready to go out to the barn to see my beloved horse, Dancer. With all the snow its been difficult for her-the paddocks are all knee deep in snow. Thankfully, the weather seems to have turned for the better this past week and she, along with her buddies, has been able to get out for most of each day. (I thought it would be fun to share some pictures from last year; please forgive the glare and the super-imposed view of my camera taking a picture of a picture! I was in a big hurry, lol!)
She and I have reached a special place in our ongoing relationship-can you believe its been almost two years? I believe she now understands that I am hers. The poor thing had been shuffled to two barns before we finally settled at the perfect place. I know in my heart she is now truly happy. Each day as I arrive, she stands at the fence and softly nickers a greeting. (Actually, she is probably saying "Come get me, I'm hungry, its time to eat!" But humor me, okay?) I believe there are few things in this world that come close to experiencing the unspoken bond with a horse.
Often, when I go out to the barn, I am feeling harried and tired from the long day, however just spending a few minutes with Dancer and I feel at peace and happy. While we don't ride every day, I always take the time to groom her and do a little ground work. I often find myself trying to stay one step ahead as she is very smart and is always trying to secong guess me! She tries to figure out what I want from her before I ask. If only humans could be that way.....

No comments: